This article dated 5/29/1918 explains that the E.S. Parkhurst & Co., Inc. agrees to purchase the ballpark and surrounding 40 acres from the Judson family for their employees‟ use.
Ball field to be improved, out-buildings repaired, tennis court and running track added.
The grandstand was to be remodeled into a “storehouse” in the process.
Company plans a team.
ATHLETIC FIELD ON OLD BASEBALL PARK
The old J. & .G base ball park, the only relic of the State league days in the Glove cities, is not doomed to complete disappearance as the E. S. Parkhurst & Co., Inc., completed negotiations yesterday afternoon with Charles W. Judson by which they purchased about forty acres of the land, including the ball park just west of the railroad crossing in Harrison street and announced their intentions for maintaining an athletic field for their employees as well as constructing a warehouse out of the old grandstand.
The land outside the park will not be used by the firm, who’s business is growing rapidly, for sometime and the company plans to encourage it’s employees to use it for gardens which would be a very patriotic move.
The grandstand will be remodeled into a storehouse but the other out-buildings will be repaired and put into better condition and better shower bath arrangements will be installed with other up-to date arrangements found in every first-class athletic field. The ball field will be retained and the infield improved and kept in the condition which it was in during the State league days; also a tennis court will be installed along with a running track
A base ball team composed of the members of the employes of the Parkhurst mill is now in the formation and will issue challenges to other local organizations which efforts will bring amateur ball back into the limelight, the place it held in former days.