G’ville Merchants at Parkhurst

This article dated 5/1/1948 states that the Gloversville Merchants semi-pro team would be practicing at Parkhurst Field.

It also mentions potential conflict with the American Legion program using the fields, agreeing to use Parkhurst only on Saturdays and Sundays.

The American Legion program began using Parkhurst Field, among other Gloversville fields, in 1947

 They also promised not to use players who would be age eligible for the American Legion program.

 Gloversville Merchants would eventually become a long term sponsor of Gloversville Little League through the 60’s and 70’s.


 

1948-05-01SATURDAY,  MAY 1,  1948.

MERCHANTS TEAM IS TO PRACTICE AT 6:30

The Gloversville Merchants semi-pro baseball club will hold a practice session Thursday evening on the Parkhurst field at 6:30.

Batting practice has top priority on the agenda,  beginning the final preparatory phase of training for the seasons opener to be played here next week.  All personnel is requested to be present as the starting lineup will be chosen.  Uniforms will be passed out later.

To avoid interference with the American Legion baseball program,  the Gloversville Merchants have secured permission from Delbert Grant of the American Legion Baseball committee,  to use the Parkhurst field as its home diamond on Saturday afternoon’s and Sundays.

In a further effort to cooperate with the Legion program,  the club will not use players whose age is not past the American Legion program’s age limit.

Any semi-pro team in Gloversville or vicinity interested in securing games with the Merchants on a home and home basis are to contact Elwood Andrest, 14 Mill Street.


 

google+

linkedin