This article dated 3/25/1918 explains that F.J.&G. Railroad will not renew the lease to the great ballpark, compared in quality to many major league parks around the country.
A local semi-pro team, the Danforths, had been playing on the field in recent years, after the demise of the JAGs.
F.,J.& G. GIVES UP JAG BALL FIELD
Surrenders Lease of the Property in Gloversville
Diamond That Was Scene of State League Games When Late “Howdy” Earl Managed Team Representing Three Cities Reverts to Control of the Owner, Charles W. Judson Now for Lease or Sale.
A.,J. & G. park located on Harrison Street in Gloversville, and for over ten years the only full sized baseball field in that city, is no more. Convinced that there is not enough spirit left in Fulton County for this great national game, the F.,J.& G. railroad company has dropped it’s lease of the grounds which revert to the control of the owner, Charles W. Judson. It is said that the possibility of their use for baseball again is now extremely remote.
General Manager W. H. Collins of the railroad company states that the company has been considering the move for some months because the park has been idle practically all of the time for the past few years and it has been a financial encumbrance to the concern, rather than an asset. Last fall, notice was served on Mr. Judson that the lease would be dropped this spring and the company has already taken that action. The large grandstand, still in excellent condition, the club house and other buildings and all lumber used on the plot is the property of the F.,J. & G. company and this, it was stated, is to be offffered for sale or lease.
“Jag Park” as it has been popularly known, was leased by the F.,J. & G. company in 1905, when the A.,J. & G. baseball team was cutting a figure in State league baseball. The “Jags” had played at the fairgrounds in Johnstown, but the railroad company, which backed the baseball franchise, saw advantages in a diamond located midway between Gloversville and Johnstown and acquired a lease of the grounds and constructed the grandstand and the club house, besides spending several thousands of dollars making a baseball field which surpassed anything in the state circuit. In fact, the playing field equalled many in the major leagues, for the infield was grass, kept closely cropped.
The late “Howdy” Earl managed the “Jags” at the time and several thousand fans will remember, as long as they live, the grand opening day when Earl’s men initiated the diamond. State league baseball thrived there for a couple of seasons, but soon started to lose it’s appeal and finally the team dropped out of the league, a financial failure.
Since state league days, the Danforths, semi-professionals, have been the only regular team to play on the grounds.